Thu. Oct 22nd, 2020

Los Angeles prosecutors charged Harvey Weinstein, the once-internationally acclaimed Hollywood producer, with six additional sexual assault counts on Friday.

The new charges, which involve two accusers, arise from alleged conduct dating back more than a decade. Mr. Weinstein was originally charged with sex crimes in Los Angeles in January, on the same day his criminal trial on similar accusations began in New York.

Mr. Weinstein has previously denied all allegations.

“Harvey Weinstein has always maintained that every one of his sexual encounters throughout his entire life have been consensual. That hasn’t changed,” a spokesperson said Friday. “We cannot comment on additional charges until we learn more about them.”

California prosecutors in January accused Mr. Weinstein of raping one woman and sexually assaulting another woman in 2013, for which he faced one felony count each of forcible rape, forcible oral copulation, sexual penetration by use of force and sexual battery by restraint.

Los Angeles prosecutors in April filed an additional count of sexual battery, for the alleged sexual assault of a woman at a Beverly Hills hotel in May 2010.

Friday’s charges involve an alleged rape between September 2004 and September 2005 at a hotel in Beverly Hills. He is also accused of raping another woman in Beverly Hills in November 2009 and again the next year.

“The willingness of these latest victims to testify against a powerful man gives us the additional evidence we need to build a compelling criminal case,”  Los Angeles District Attorney Jackie Lacey said in a statement Friday. If convicted, he faces up to 140 years to life in prison, prosecutors said.

A wave of women accused the one-time powerful movie mogul of sexual misconduct beginning in 2017, sparking the #MeToo movement and prompting widespread dialogue about the treatment of women in the workplace.

A Manhattan jury convicted Mr. Weinstein in February of two counts: first-degree criminal sexual act, for forcing oral sex on “Project Runway” production assistant Miriam Haley in 2006; and third-degree rape, for having nonconsensual sex with then-aspiring actress Jessica Mann in 2013.

He was acquitted of the most severe charges—two counts of predatory sexual assault, which carried a possible life sentence.

Mr. Weinstein is serving a 23-year sentence in New York state prison. California prosecutors have initiated extradition proceedings, and a hearing is scheduled for Dec. 11.