Thu. May 23rd, 2024

A Virginia man who is charged with two murders in Virginia Beach and one in Norfolk, made a video appearance in court Tuesday to face charges related to the killing that took place in Norfolk.

According to WAVY, 30-year-old Cola Beale IV, told a judge he will move forward with a court-appointed attorney for this case. He faces one count of second-degree murder as well as the possession of a firearm while committing the crime. 

Beale is charged with the murder of his cousin, Downing Mclean. Norfolk police said Beale killed Mclean at a home on Sewells Point Road. Officers found Mclean’s body on March 28.

Additionally, Virginia Beach police said Beale murdered Czavier Hill, whom Beale said was his girlfriend in a series of jailhouse interviews. He also told 13News Now he killed 73-year-old Clifton Baxter, whom he considered a father figure. Beale is facing charges related to Hill’s and Baxter’s deaths.

In the jailhouse interviews, Beale said he didn’t feel any remorse for the murders. He added that if police had not found him at a home in Hampton, he would have hurt other people.

Beale was arraigned on charges in Virginia Beach prior to his appearance in Norfolk Tuesday. He remained in the custody of the Virginia Beach Sheriff’s Office. 

A judge set his next hearing in Norfolk for May 26. A preliminary hearing for his charges in Virginia Beach is scheduled shortly after in early June.

Here is what’s ironic. Beales father, Cola Beale III, killed his wife back in 2014.

Beale III is currently behind bars after being sentenced in 2015 to life with all but 40 years suspended for the murder of June Carlita Beale in their Gaithersburg, Maryland, home on July, 27, 2014. Family members say June Carlita Beale was Beale IV’s stepmother.

Police reports said officers found her dead with trauma to her body, after a member of the church the Beales attended notified authorities just before 10:30 a.m., telling them Beale had just called to say he killed his wife.

Beale III fled to Norfolk after the murder, where he was later taken into custody “without incident” after calling police to admit what he had done, the Washington Post reported.

At the time, police said they had responded to the couple’s Maryland home at least once before for a domestic dispute.

Tell us your thoughts...

By Buffy Gunner

Independent Journalist + Business Owner | Lover of all things true crime. Mantra: Only YOU can be YOU. | Los Angeles Born |