Mon. May 20th, 2024

Police in Indiana have announced an arrest in the New Year’s Day shooting that killed a woman and an off-duty member of the Indianapolis Fire Department, according to reports.

52-year-old Jason Lapsley was taken into custody Monday night for the murders of 42-year-old Jasmine Ivy-Dede and 45-year-old Justin Boyd II, the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department said in a release.

Ivy-Dede and Boyd were found shot to death inside a crashed pickup truck at Michigan Road and Grandview Drive around 6 a.m. Monday.

A probable cause affidavit says that while officers were on the scene of the shooting, a 911 call came in from a man saying he shot someone trying to carjack or rob him and his brother.

Investigators tried to locate the caller by tracking their location, but couldn’t locate anyone in the area. Officers then researched the number and found it belonged to Lapsley.

Detectives then spoke with Boyd’s son and two of Boyd’s close friends. Court papers say Boyd’s son told officers that his father left the house around 9 p.m. on New Year’s Eve to go to a party. He returned at 1 a.m. on New Year’s Day, and Boyd and his son spoke before his son went to bed.

Around 7 a.m., Boyd’s son told investigators he woke up hearing someone knocking on the door and ringing the doorbell. When he answered the door, he said he was met by his uncle, Jason Lapsley.

After both expressed confusion as to where Boyd was, Lapsley told his nephew that there was a carjacking that happened when Boyd tried to take him home. Lapsley said that “he fell asleep on the ride home, and when he woke up, two different people were in the car,” court papers say.

Lapsley told his nephew that he tried asking the people where Boyd was, but they wouldn’t answer. He then said that the man in the vehicle said he was taking him home, followed by the woman asking if Lapsley was OK.

Boyd’s son then told detectives that Lapsley told him he “got them both, nephew. I didn’t want to do it, but I got them both.”

Detectives then spoke with Boyd’s friends, who said they met with Boyd’s son and Lapsley at Boyd’s house. Court documents say that the friends had to help Lapsley out of the vehicle “because he was holding his ribs and acting hurt.”

One friend told investigators that they thought “Jason might be reaching for a weapon by the way he was acting.” The group reconvened in the house, and Lapsley eventually pulled aside the two friends.

Lapsley explained to the friends about the carjacking, and then according to court documents, admitted to shooting and killing the two people in the car.

The affidavit says that while still on the scene, detectives were approached by a person who said they knew where Lapsley was. Officers then responded to a home on Congress Avenue, where Lapsley was found sitting on the porch with another male.

Police say while the other male didn’t want to identify himself, he said he had recorded a conversation with Lapsley depicting the incident on his phone. Court documents say investigators reviewed the recording, where Lapsley admits to the shooting and answering questions about the blood on his coat.

Lapsley was then taken into custody for an interview, but Lapsley asked for an attorney before the interview even started.

Lapsley was being held at the Marion County jail without bond.

Tell us your thoughts...

By Buffy Gunner

Independent Journalist + Business Owner | Lover of all things true crime. Mantra: Only YOU can be YOU. | Los Angeles Born |