Tue. Apr 23rd, 2024

A 20-year-old man is in police custody after police say he shot and killed his 82-year-old foster mother over the weekend.

Chesapeake police had been looking for Traivon McNulty since Saturday, calling him armed and dangerous. Police tell said that McNulty was taken into custody during a traffic stop in Delaware around midnight Sunday into Monday. He surrendered without incident.

McNulty faces a homicide charge, along with felony firearm, domestic violence and grand larceny charges all in connection to the shooting death of Mary McNulty.

Police say the two are mother and son and that the shooting happened at a home on Narrow Street in Chesapeake’s South Norfolk neighborhood.

On Sunday, family members said the incident happened at the McNulty family’s home.

Similar: Missouri Man Charged in Murders of His Own Three Family Members

“She adopted Traivon. She adopted him at 2 weeks old and she raised him until yesterday. Now he’s on the run,” Joe Lymore said, Mary McNulty’s son-in-law.

According to Lymore and other family members, the two got into a disagreement about Traivon’s $200 a month rent being late.

“He was like, I’m go fix y’all this morning. I’m go show all y’all. It didn’t really register until he got back. When Traivon got out the vehicle, he proceeded to the house and my father-in-law started cutting the grass and that’s when heard the shots,” Lymore said.

That’s when he says Traivon sped away in the family’s silver Chrysler Town & Country mini-van.

“She fixed him three meals a day and washed his clothes and did all of that for $200 a month and that’s nothing. You can’t live nowhere cheaper than that. He’ll find out. The only place he’ll live cheaper than that is where he’s going when they catch him,” Alfonso Ezzell said, Mary McNulty’s nephew.

Ezzell said that Mary was like a second mother to him. Ezzell drove from his home in Fort Washington, Maryland when he found out his aunt was killed.

Similar: Man Charged With Stabbing His Grandmother to Death Inside Georgia Home

Relatives say Traivon kept to himself a lot.

“He was really quiet, isolated and played on video games a lot. He never wanted for nothing. He was blessed. She would shop for him or if he needed help,” Lymore said.

Hours before his arrest, family members urged Traivon to come forward.

“Just turn himself in because he knows what he did was wrong,” Ezzell said.

If you have any information that can help police, you are urged to call 1-888-LOCK-U-UP and can remain anonymous.

Follow Illicit Deeds on Facebook for more stories.

Tell us your thoughts...

By Buffy Gunner

Independent Journalist + Business Owner | Lover of all things true crime. Mantra: Only YOU can be YOU. | Los Angeles Born | buffygunner@illicitdeeds.com